Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Deepavali - Festival of lights

Deepavali, is celebrated across India as the festival of lights, which basically means the triumph of good over bad/evil.
For me, Festivals, especially Deepavali has been the time for family and family get togethers.
When we were kids, all my aunts, uncles and cousins used to come over and we used to have a lots of fun bursting crackers, lighting diyas all around the house!!! Ofcourse, new dresses, plenty of sweets were all part of the celebrations!
But, as we grew older, priorities changed for most of us and the family get togethers gradually stopped....
But, even then Deepavali has always been fun at home with my parents and sister. We still light diyas all around our home and mouth watering sweets and other delicacies are a part and parcel of this beautiful festival.
This year too, the festival was special since it was my first Deepavali after marriage. The family bonding was there and it was extra-special since my sister's B'day was also celebrated!!!
Deepavali will always hold a special place in my heart and I would go on to say that its one of my favorite festivals!!!

1 comment:

Hazel said...

Sweets Crackers and new clothes .. what else do we need ...bliss if u could discount all the noise on the street early in the morning...